Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Herman Miller?!?!? WHY!!!!!!!!!!?


So on my routine worker bee drive to work yesterday I was reminded, via local radio show, that it was the 40th anniversary of quite possibly the world's worst idea: The "action office" or as we know it The Cubicle; better known as the professional unmotivator or work coffin or the cube farm or death at a desk etcetera etcetera
This was terrible in two ways:

1. I wasn't even to work yet and I was already reminded of where I would be spending the next 9 hours.

2. I had to spend the next 9 hours celebrating such a glorious holiday in an ACTION OFFICE!

This isn't a post to rant on where I work at all because I love and enjoy the place I work very much. I however do not enjoy the action office one iota. Now typical cubicles are a dejecting sight, unless of course covered in aluminum foil like the amazing example above. Mine is the top of the tops though; mine not only is a cubicle, but it is also, as I noticed even more today, UNDERGROUND! I am not even a lucky worker bee in a tree with a view, I am an army ant in the belly of the workforce beast.

Often times I picture myself acting out as Peter did in Office Space dropping one side of my cubicle down to get a better view. Alas that wouldn't work where I sit; it would only expose me to the fact that I'm surrounded by the exact same situations everywhere like a bad Beaverton housing development or Neo in the Matrix after taking the blue pill. (or was it the red pill? Who cares those movies went down faster than a Britney comeback tour)

I digress, so here's to you action office, may you suck the life out of beautiful professionals everywhere until they quit and open a tequila bar in some place far away, warm, and sandy. I hear Fiji is nice this time of year. Who's with me?

2 comments:

Ben said...

And you realize that this is how I make my living right?

B said...

make dat money Miss January!